I talk a lot about using social media to expand your network, look for a new job, or promote and grow your business. But how do you know which sites to use?
Which sites you choose depends entirely on what you want to achieve. Helping you figure out what you want to achieve is part of what working with a coach is all about. If you’re looking for a new job, Twitter has some great job boards, and you can get real-time updates of new listings, learn more about the companies you are target and if it’s networking you’re after, LinkedIn—and, to a lesser degree, Facebook—allow you to connect with other professionals.
There are other, less well-known social networking sites that have a lot to offer job seekers, entrepreneurs, and networkers. Here’s a partial list of business-related social networking sites you might find helpful:
• AdvisorGarage—An online directory of advisers willing to assist budding entrepreneurs.
• ConnectBeam—Social networking specially designed for corporate users.
• Doostang – An invite-only career community for professionals.
• Fast Pitch—A growing business networking community in the corporate world. It provides users with a one-stop shop network to market their business.
• Mediabistro.com—A site for professionals in content or creative industries.
• Ryze.com—A site for establishing new connections and growing networks. Connections for jobs, building career and making sales.
• Blitztime—Speed networking platform where you can network in your PJ’s. Check out their free demo to learn more.
• XING—A directory of business contacts powering relationships between business professionals.
Everything is easier when you have the right tools and you know how to maximize them. Integrating social media into your job search or business networking strategy is a great way to open new doors, stay on top of the trends and grow your network. “Opportunity rarely knocks at your door. Knock rather on opportunity’s door if you ardently wish to enter.” – B.C. Forbes
Check out some of the sites above, see who’s online, and shop around until you find the site (or sites) that are best for you. You never know who you’ll meet (or Tweet)! Follow me on twitter at http://twitter.com/coachdq
Are you overwhelmed with all the resources available and you just don’t know where to start? Contact me for a complimentary coaching consult.
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE, BLOG OR WEBSITE? Please do, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Dawn Quesnel, CPCC, PCC, known as Coach DQ, is a professional coach, radio show host and workshop leader. Through the use of her B.R.I.D.G.E. programs she helps creative professionals and business owners navigate career or business transition while maintaining a healthy career-life balance. Her core belief that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to, consistently leads clients to uncover hidden resources and strengths. If you are ready to B.R.I.D.G.E. the gap between you and a life you love then visit http://www.careerlifebalance.net or http://www.coachdq.com today.
Do you have a website or resource you want to share? We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback below.