Are you a Netweaver?

Netweaving is the art of connecting with others not only for personal gain, but for a higher goal. While networking incorporates only one part of you—the professional you—Netweaving encompasses all parts of your life. When you Netweave, you use your intuitive energy to channel opportunity, heal the space around you, and create a sense of community among those with whom you interact.

This concept may sound new-age and wacky to some, but there’s a lot of evidence to suggest that how you operate on an energetic level affects how things happen in your life. When you help others, they will help you in turn.

For example, in some networking groups, you’re expected to refer your clients and friends only to other professionals in your group. But if you’re not comfortable doing that (if, let’s say, you don’t really know the person all that well), your clients will sense it, and feel that you’re passing them off to someone you’re not entirely enthusiastic about. This in turn could affect their level of trust in you. Also, making referrals only because you want people will refer to you in turn (or out of fear that they won’t scratch you back if you don’t scratch theirs), can make things uncomfortable for everyone.

When you Netweave, you’re building your network like a spider web, from the center outward.All the people in all the areas of your life become connected, and you are at the center point. When you help the people in your “weave” connect with each other and begin to build a community, good things happen.

Here’s a perfect example of Netweaving:

An acquaintance of mine (we’ll call her Lily) met Jane, a radio host, at a seminar in Rhode Island. Lily had written a book on green cleaning. Jane put her in touch with Abby, who had also written a book on green cleaning and who’d been a guest on Jane’s show. Lily and Abby had a lot in common, but no real ideas for working together. But, since they got along well, Lily introduced Abby to her co-author, Kelly, and the two of them soon launched a Tele-seminar program.

“So what?” You might be asking. “That kind of thing happens all the time!”But that’s not the end of the story.

Soon after Abby and Kelly began working together, they hired Lily to create their website. Lily had introduced two people from separate parts of her life, not for any personal gain, but because she thought they would like each other—but when it came time to hire a web designer, Lily was the first person they thought of. And there’s more: not long after the web site was finished, Kelly and Abby got in touch with Jane to talk about air time for their new Tele-seminar program. So Jane, who had given Abby’s name to Lily with no expectation of return, benefitted as well. The Netweaving had come full circle!

When you begin Netweaving, you’ll notice how easily all the separate areas of your life come together, and merge into one community. You’ll notice how, by helping other people reach their goals, you can move toward your own. You’re working to create good things for everyone, not only yourself.

Of course, there’s a practical side to all this as well—as those of you who know me well can attest. The truth is, only 20% of jobs are found through advertisements. The other 80% come through networking! So if you’re looking for a job, you’re doing yourself a real disservice if you’re spending the whole day on Netweaving—integrating yourself into whatever community you choose and working to help that community thrive—is the best way to get a job, find helpful contacts, or launch a new business. When you’re at the center of a Netweaving web, everyone wants to help you succeed, because their own success is enhanced by yours.

So get out there, and start Netweaving! You can become part of my NetWeave (if you’re not already) by finding me on Twitter and LinkedIn.

As a certified professional coach, radio show host and workshop leader, Dawn helps sales, marketing, advertising and creative entrepreneurs to accelerate their career so they’ll love their life!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *